Preparation for your Headshot or Business Portrait
There are very few hard & fast rules about what to wear for your headshot. So – keep it simple and don’t get stressed or overthink it. For this type of portrait, the emphasis will be on your face – not on your outfit.
The most basic guideline is to wear the clothes you are comfortable in – depending on the photo purpose. This is often your standard business attire, whatever that may be.
You should also take into account where your photo will be used (e.g. on a Team Webpage), and how it will fit in there with any previous images.
So, in some situations, you will be free to wear anything you want. In others, you might have to adapt a bit.
Having said that, here are some specific guidelines, which are broadly applicable from a photographic point of view :
- Aim for classic, timeless clothing and accessories, of whatever style
- For more formal clothes – make sure the fit is good, with no obvious wrinkles
- Avoid large/bold patterns or broad stripes
- If wearing a tie – avoid bright red
- Feel free to have some extra clothes along – you don’t have to try them, but sometimes they may work out better
- A photo can exaggerate shaving or lack of – so remember this to suit your preferred image
- If makeup is worn, normal daytime makeup is best – nothing major extra. A quick check and touch-up before the photoshoot is all that’s required